Popular among the festivals of India celebrated in the North East, Bihu is the harvest festival of Assam. During the month-long celebrations, young men and women wear their traditional clothes and perform the Bihu dance in the village fields and courtyards. A community feast is held with a lot of fanfare.
- It’s the traditional new year celebration of Assamese.
- Assam is a fertile land surrounded by Blue Mountains and replenished by the mighty Brahmaputra River.
- The occupation of the people here is agriculture and the entire society is agrarian in nature.
- Bihu is basically a celebration of the change of the seasons.
- Each of the three Bihu celebrations marks an important phase in the farming calendar of Assam.
- The Bihu dance and the local cuisine – coconut laddoo, til pitha, ghila pitha, and fish pitika.